The 1997 Eurocon is the largest science fiction convention ever to be held in Ireland. It's also the first international SF convention to be held here. For these reasons, we wanted a special venue. One that not only would serve as a first-class site, but one that represented Irish heritage and culture. Dublin Castle proved the ideal choice.
In 1204, King John commanded the building of a fortress for the 'administration of justice and for the custody of treasure.' The importance of the site, however, can be traced back even further. Archaeological investigations have confirmed its significance as an important site in Viking and even pre-Viking times. In fact, Dublin gets its name from the Gaelic words 'Dubh Linn' or 'Black Pool'. The original pool is now the site of the present castle garden.
Through the ages the Castle has undergone many changes, additions and restorations. Though the multimedia facilities set up in the thirteenth century were advanced for their time, King John's unfortunate choice of Betamax video projection means that in recent years a number of significant alterations had to be made. The latest addition is the modern Conference Centre which was designed and purpose-built for Ireland's Presidency of the European Community.
To say more of the site would make us sound even more like the Dublin Castle Press Office, but the truth is it's a convention site nonpareil, and one that we're delighted to have.
Below: the courtyard of Dublin Castle, showing the famous tower. The main entrance for the convention will be at the very left edge of the picture; the tower entrance leads to the dealers' room and fan room.
Below: the lobby, leading up to the main entrance and registration. To the
right (out of shot) is the main hall, and to the left (also out of shot) is
the coffee dock and bar. [Note: figures not included.]