Joe Haldeman was born in 1943 in Oklahoma City, but was raised mainly in Alaska
and Maryland. He has a Batchelor of Science in Astronomy and Physics. He was
drafted into the US army and served in Vietnam in 1968, and was awarded the
He began writing in 1970, and his first novel, War Year was published
two years later. It was followed in 1975 by The Forever War, one of
the few modern SF classics, which won the Hugo, Nebula and Ditmar awards.
He also won the Hugo and Nebula for his novella "The Hemingway Hoax", a Hugo
for the short stories "Tricentennial" and "None So Blind", the Nebula and
the World Fantasy Award for his short story "Graves", two Rhyslings (science
fiction poetry award) for "Saul's Death" and "18 Years Old, October 11th",
and the Galaxy Award for Mindbridge.
He is currently working on the novels Forever Peace and The
Coming, a series of graphic novels based on Buying Time, a long
poem (rhymed double sestina) called "Old Twentieth: A Century Full of Years,"
and a novel with the working title of The Time Machine.
Joe Haldeman has been a part-time professor at Massachusetts Institute of
Technology since 1983. He is married to author Gay Haldeman, and they currently
reside in Gainesville, Florida and Cambridge, Massachussets.
This will be Joe's first appearance at an Irish SF con, and we are incredibly
chuffed with ourselves to have him as our guest.
A brief bibliography:
Joe Haldeman's Tangled Website
- War Year (short novel) Holt, 1972
- Cosmic Laughter (anthology) Holt, 1974
- The Forever War (novel) St. Martin's Press, 1975
- Mindbridge (novel) St. Martin's Press, 1976
- Planet of Judgment (Star Trek novel) Bantam, 1977
- All My Sins Remembered (novel) St. Martin's Press, 1977
- Study War No More (anthology) St. Martin's Press, 1977
- Infinite Dreams (short story collection) St. Martin's Press, 1978
- World Without End (Star Trek novel) Bantam, 1979
- Worlds (novel) Viking, 1981
- Worlds Apart (novel) Viking, 1983
- Nebula Awards 17 (anthology) Holt, 1983
- Dealing in Futures (short story collection) Viking, 1985
- Tool of the Trade (novel) Morrow, 1987
- Buying Time (novel) Morrow, 1989
- The Hemingway Hoax (short novel) Morrow, 1990
- Worlds Enough and Time (novel) Morrow, 1992
- Vietnam and Other Alien Worlds (essays, fiction, poetry) NESFA Press, 1993
- 1968 (novel) Morrow, 1995
- None So Blind (short story collection), AvoNova, 1996